A unified Gram-Schmidt-Ritz formulation for vibration and active flutter control analysis of honeycomb sandwich plate with general elastic support
Huagang Lin1 , Dengqing Cao2
1, 2School of Astronautics, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China
Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 20, Issue 5, 2018, p. 1982-2000.
Received 29 August 2017; received in revised form 20 January 2018; accepted 13 February 2018; published 15 August 2018
An admissible function constructed by orthogonal polynomials is presented to investigate the vibration and active flutter control of Honeycomb sandwich plate with general elastic support in a supersonic airflow. The control strategies based on the displacement feedback and LQR method are applied by means of pasting the piezoelectric material on the surface of the plate structure. Employing the first-order piston theory to describe the aerodynamic loads, the governing equation of plate system with the piezoelectric actuator is established based on the Hamilton principle. The mode shapes are obtained using the admissible functions, which are a set of characteristic orthogonal polynomials generated directly by employing the Gram-Schmidt process, and the general elastic constraint is modeled using the artificial spring technology. The frequency and mode shape under different boundary are calculated by Rayleigh-Ritz method. The validity of the proposed approach is confirmed by comparing the results with those obtained from FEM and literatures. The phenomenon of mode jumping is observed with the increase of the aerodynamic pressure. The study of active control shows that, the increasement of displacement feedback gain improves the critical dynamic pressure.
Keywords: honeycomb sandwich plate, elastic boundaries, Rayleigh-Ritz method, flutter, active control.
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11472089).
- Paik J. K., Thayamballi A. K., Kim G. S. The strength characteristics of aluminum honeycomb sandwich panels. Steel Construction, Vol. 35, Issue 3, 1999, p. 205-231. [CrossRef]
- Liu J., Zhou C. Y. Influence of length-thickness ratio on dynamic calculation accuracy of equivalent plate model of hexagonal aluminum honeycomb sandwich plate. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, Vol. 33, Issue 8, 2016, p. 1838-1847. [CrossRef]
- Xia L. K., Jin X. K., Wang Y. B. Equivalent analysis of honeycomb sandwich plates for satellite structure. Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University, Vol. 37, Issue 7, 2003, p. 999-1001. [CrossRef]
- Zhang J., Ashby M. F. Buckling of honeycombs under in-plane biaxial stresses. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 34, Issue 6, 1992, p. 491-509. [Publisher]
- Yeh W. N., Wu Y. E. Enhancement of buckling characteristics for sandwich structure with fiber reinforced composite skins and core made of aluminum honeycomb and polyurethane foam. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 15, Issue 1, 1991, p. 63-74. [Publisher]
- Raja S., Pashilkar A. A., Sreedeep R., Kamesh J. V. Flutter control of a composite plate with piezoelectric multilayered actuators. Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 10, Issue 5, 2006, p. 435-441. [Publisher]
- Navazi H. M., Haddadpour H. Aero-thermoelastic stability of functionally graded plates. Composite Structures, Vol. 80, Issue 4, 2007, p. 580-587. [Publisher]
- Amabili M., Garziera R. Vibrations of circular cylindrical shells with nonuniform constraints, elastic bed and added mass. Part I: empty and fluid-filled shells. Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 14, Issue 5, 2000, p. 669-690. [Publisher]
- Jin G., Ye T., Chen Y., Su Z., Yan Y. An exact solution for the free vibration analysis of laminated composite cylindrical shells with general elastic boundary conditions. Composite Structures, Vol. 106, Issue 12, 2013, p. 114-127. [Publisher]
- Mahi A., Bedia E. A. A., Tounsi A. A new hyperbolic shear deformation theory for bending and free vibration analysis of isotropic, functionally graded, sandwich and laminated composite plates. Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 39, Issue 9, 2014, p. 2489-2508. [Publisher]
- Ye T., Jin G., Chen Y., Ma X., Su Z. Free vibration analysis of laminated composite shallow shells with general elastic boundaries. Composite Structures, Vol. 106, 2013, p. 470-490. [Publisher]
- Zhang X., Li W. L. Vibrations of rectangular plates with arbitrary non-uniform elastic edge restraints. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 326, Issues 1-2, 2009, p. 221-234. [Publisher]
- Lin H., Cao D. Q., Xu Y. Q. Vibration characteristics and flutter analysis of a composite laminated plate with a store. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, Vol. 39, 2018, p. 241-260. [Publisher]
- Lin H., Cao D. Q., Shao C. H. An admissible function for vibration and flutter studies of FG cylindrical shells with arbitrary edge conditions using characteristic orthogonal polynomials. Composite Structures, Vol. 183, 2018, p. 748-763. [Publisher]
- Hajela P., Glowasky R. Application of piezoelectric elements in supersonic panel flutter suppression. Aircraft Design and Operations Meeting, 2013. [CrossRef]
- Balamurugan V., Narayanan S. Shell finite element for smart piezoelectric composite plate/shell structures and its application to the study of active vibration control. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 37, Issue 9, 2001, p. 713-738. [Publisher]
- Li F. M. Active aeroelastic flutter suppression of a supersonic plate with piezoelectric material. International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 51, Issue 2, 2012, p. 190-203. [Publisher]
- Kim M., Li Q., Huang J. K. Active control of nonlinear panel flutter using aeroelastic modes and piezoelectric actuators. AIAA Journal, Vol. 46, Issue 3, 2008, p. 733-743. [Publisher]
- Song Z. G., Li F. M. Active aeroelastic flutter analysis and vibration control of supersonic composite laminated plate. Composite Structures, Vol. 94, 2012, p. 702-713. [Publisher]
- Ibrahim H. H., Hong H. Y., Lee K. S. Supersonic flutter of functionally grated panels subject to acoustic and thermal loads. Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 46, Issue 2, 2015, p. 593-600. [Publisher]
- Koo K. N., Hwang W. S. Effects of hysteretic and aerodynamic damping on supersonic panel flutter of composite plates. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 273, Issue 3, 2004, p. 569-583. [Publisher]
- Zhao H., Cao D. A study on the aero-elastic flutter of stiffened laminated composite panel in the supersonic flow. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, Issue 19, 2013, p. 4668-4679. [Publisher]