Dynamical analysis of wind turbine blades based on harmonic response
Qiong Wang1 , Xuejun Li2 , Kexiang Wei3 , Mian Jiang4
1, 2, 4Hunan Provincial Key Laboratory of Health Maintenance for Mechanical Equipment, Hunan University of Science and Technology, Xiangtan, 411201, China
1, 3Hunan Provincial Engineering Laboratory of Wind Power Operation, Maintenance and Testing, Hunan Institute of Engineering, Xiangtan, 411104, China
Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 21, Issue 5, 2019, p. 1251-1259.
Received 8 September 2018; received in revised form 12 February 2019; accepted 23 February 2019; published 15 August 2019
As the forces applied on the wind turbine blade are irregular, the deformation and concentrated stress of the blade may vary with the load and excitation. And the lamination of composite materials is critical to blade design, it directly affects the performance and power of wind power plants. In this paper, the response characteristics of the wind turbine blade is analyzed by the application of the harmonic response method under different ply angles. Through the simulation results, the performance of the actual blade is estimated, and the rationality of this design is judged. The results demonstrate that the blade displacement response amplitude is the minimum when ply angle is 45°. It is also found that the maximum displacement response occurs in the direction (i.e. parallel to the flow direction) by analyzing the displacement of each section in the blade, while the maximum stress is located at blade root.
Keywords: wind turbine blade, harmonic response analysis, dynamic response, ply angle.
This work was partly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11472103, 11572125 and 51775182) and Hunan Provincial Department of Education Research Project (Grant No. 17C0398).
- Monte A. D., Betta S. D., Castelli M. R., Benini E. Proposal for a coupled aerodynamic–structural wind turbine blade optimization. Composite Structures, Vol. 159, Issue 3, 2017, p. 144-156. [Publisher]
- Johnson D. A., Gu M., Gaunt B. Wind turbine performance in controlled conditions: BEM modeling and comparison with experimental results. International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 23, Issue 5, 2016, p. 5460823. [CrossRef]
- Fagan E. M., Flanagan M., Leen S. B., et al. Physical experimental static testing and structural design optimization for a composite wind turbine blade. Composite Structures, Vol. 164, Issue 32, 2017, p. 90-103. [Publisher]
- Kulkarni P. A., Hu W., Dhoble A. S., Padole P. M. Statistical wind prediction and fatigue analysis for horizontal-axis wind turbine composite material blade under dynamic loads. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 9, Issue 9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814017724088. [Publisher]
- Asl M. E., Niezrecki C., Sherwood J., Avitabile P. Similitude analysis of thin-walled composite I-beams for subcomponent testing of wind turbine blades. Wind Engineering, Vol. 41, Issue 5, 2017, p. 297-312. [Publisher]
- Hayat K., Ha S. K. Load mitigation of wind turbine blade by aeroelastic tailoring via unbalanced laminates composites. Composite Structures, Vol. 128, Issue 3, 2015, p. 122-133. [Publisher]
- Albanesi A., Fachinotti V., Peralta I., Storti B., Gebhardt C. Application of the inverse finite element method to design wind turbine blades. Composite Structures, Vol. 161, Issue 25, 2017, p. 160-172. [Publisher]
- Wang Y. J., Zhu S. R., Wang J. J. The ply optimum design of composites wind turbine blade based on the local stability. Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 988, 2014, p. 445-448. [Publisher]
- Gangele A., Ahmed S. Modal analysis of S809 wind turbine blade considering different geometrical and material parameters. Journal of The Institution of Engineers, Vol. 94, Issue 3, 2013, p. 225-228. [CrossRef]
- Philippe M., Babarit A., Ferrant P. Modes of response of an offshore wind turbine with directional wind and waves. Renewable Energy, Vol. 49, Issue 1, 2013, p. 151-155. [Publisher]
- Tran T. T., Kim D. H. A CFD study into the influence of unsteady aerodynamic interference on wind turbine surge motion. Renewable Energy, Vol. 90, Issue 3, 2016, p. 204-228. [Publisher]
- Huang X. D., Hse C. Y., Shupe T. F. Evaluation of the performance of the composite bamboo/epoxy laminated material for wind turbine blades technology. Bioresources, Vol. 10, Issue 1, 2015, p. 660-671. [CrossRef]
- Bagherpoor T., Li X. Structural optimization design of 2MW composite wind turbine blade. Energy Procedia, Vol. 105, Issue 2, 2017, p. 1226-1233. [Publisher]
- Rocha I. B. C. M., Raijmaekers S., Nijssen R., et al. Hygrothermal ageing behaviour of a glass/epoxy composite used in wind turbine blades. Composite Structures, Vol. 174, Issue 13, 2017, p. 110-122. [Publisher]
- Lu En, Li Wei, Yang Xuefeng, Wang Yuqiao, Liu Yufei Dynamic modeling and analysis of a rotating piezoelectric smart beam. International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, Vol. 18, Issue 1, 2018, p. 1850003. [Publisher]