Influence of electromagnetic stiffness on coupled micro vibrations generated by solar array drive assembly
Mariyam Sattar1 , Cheng Wei2 , Awais Jalali3
1, 2Beihang University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing, China
3University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan
Vibroengineering PROCEDIA, Vol. 8, 2016, p. 397-402.
Received 21 August 2016; accepted 22 August 2016; published 7 October 2016
This work analyzes the influence of electromagnetic stiffness on coupled micro disturbance behavior of 32 and 64 subdivisions (SD) Solar Array Drive Assembly (SADA). The problem geometry consists of SADA supporting and operating rigid load through transmission shaft. Mathematical model of stepper motor, used as SADA, with two phases and four beats is developed to determine output excitation torque and electromagnetic stiffness. Keeping in view the reduction ratio, number of rotor teeth, beats and subdivisions; active and dead load SADA vibration model is developed. Rigid load operated by SADA is approximated into motor torsional spring moment of inertia dynamic system to obtain frequency response of mechanical configuration. The developed mathematical model contains information about moment of inertia of load, stiffness of electromagnetic spring, stiffness of transmission shaft and moment of inertia of SADA rotor. Results obtained from analytical calculations are validated by experimentation and simulations run in Matlab/Simulink. Analysis reveals that increase of electromagnetic stiffness, subdivisions number and rotor teeth leads to increase in stability of SADA operated system. The research lays a firm basis for study on vibration attenuation and analysis of SADA disturbances during in orbit operations.
Keywords: electromagnetic stiffness, subdivisions, structural coupling, active disturbance.
- Omiciuolo M., et al. Micro-vibration performance prediction of SEPTA24 using SMESIM (RUAG Space Mechanism Simulator Tool). 15th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium, The Netherlands, 2013. [CrossRef]
- Xing G., Youping W. The universalization, serialization and modularization design of solar array drive assembly (SADA). Chinese Journal of Space Sciences, Vol. 22, 2002, p. 55-67. [CrossRef]
- Wagner M., et al. European Space Agency (ESA): New Reaction Wheel Characterization Test Facility (RCF). Advances in the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 144, 2012, p. 537-556. [CrossRef]
- Liu K. C., M. P., Blaurock C. Reaction wheel disturbance modeling, jitter analysis and validation tests for solar dynamics observatory. AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Guidance, Navigation, and Control and Co-located Conferences, 2008. [CrossRef]
- Weiyong Z., et al. Analysis and testing of microvibrations produced by momentum wheel assemblies. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, Vol. 25, Issue 4, 2012, p. 640-649. [CrossRef]
- Yang Y. L., et al. Experiment and simulation of electromagnetic stiffness for stepper motor. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2010. [CrossRef]
- Li X. The primary research on low-frequence resonate of step-motor and it’s damping methods. Journal of Shenyang Polytechnic University, 1994. [CrossRef]
- Zhang M., et al. A high stability control method for solar array drive mechanism. Aerospace Control and Application, 2010. [CrossRef]
- Bodson M., Sato J. S., Silver S. R. Spontaneous speed reversals in stepper motors. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 14, Issue 2, 2006, p. 369-373. [CrossRef]
- Si Z., Liu Y., Li K. Research on modeling and driver design of solar array drive assembly. Aerospace Control Applications, Vol. 36, 2010, p. 13-19. [CrossRef]
- Szolc T., et al. Dynamic investigations of electromechanical coupling effects in mechanisms driven by the stepping motor. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Vol. 50, Issue 2, 2012, p. 653-673. [CrossRef]
- Chen J. P., Cheng W., Han W. Analysis and simulation of stepper motor disturbance considering structural coupling. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2014. [CrossRef]
- Xi J., Liao G., Yang W. Study of stepping motor subdivision driver. International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, 2010. [CrossRef]