New study on interactional effects of grouting pressure on the displacement of nailing bond
Pouyan Abbasi Maedeh1 , Wei Wu2 , Ali Ghanbari3 , Jia Lin4 , Marelianda Al Dianty5 , Kourosh Ghaffari Irdmoosa6 , Amir Shahraki Ghadimi7
1, 2, 4University of Bodenkultur, Vienna, Austria
3, 6, 7Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
5University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Journal of Measurements in Engineering, Vol. 6, Issue 1, 2018, p. 10-24.
Received 2 January 2018; accepted 25 January 2018; published 31 March 2018
The maximum displacement in a soil nail bond system considering the pull-out, overburden load and grouting pressure effects has been evaluated. The Pull-out tests were carried out in five sites that located in Tehran, Iran. Moreover, additional pull-out test data from South Korea is considered. The displacement of the nailing system due to gravity and pressure grouting has been measured. Based on achieved data, four practical relationships between bound strength and pull-out displacements are developed. The parameters overburden load, grouting pressure, borehole diameter, moisture content and soil’s strength parameters have been chosen as the major inputs for the relationships. The correlation coefficients of the linear relationship range have been achieved between 0.89 and 0.99. While by using the multi-layer neural network for estimating it has been illustrated approximately 0.95.
Keywords: soil nail bond, pull-out, relationship, grouting pressure.
The authors wish to appreciate the institute of geotechnical engineering, University of Bodenkultur, Vienna, Austria, for their generous supports to complete this work.
- Elias V., Juran I. Soil Nailing for Stabilization of Highway Slopes and Excavations. Federal Highway Administration. Washington, DC, USA, Publication FHWA-RD-89-198, 1991. [CrossRef]
- Lazarte C. A., Elias V., Espinoza R. D., Sabatini P. J. Soil Nail Walls. Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 7. Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, USA, Publication FHWA-IF-03-017, 2013. [CrossRef]
- Schlosser F. Behaviour and design of soil nailing. Proceeding on Recent Developments in Ground Improvement Techniques, Bangkok, Thailand, Balasubramaniam AS, Chandra S, 1982. [CrossRef]
- Shahraki Ghadidmi A., Ghanbari A., Sabermahani M., Yazdani M. Effect of soil type on nail pull-out resistance. Ground Improvement, Vol. 170, Issue 2, 2017, p. 81-88. [Publisher]
- Yin J. H., Zhou W. H. Influence of grouting pressure and overburden stress on the interface resistance of a soil nail. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 135, Issue 9, 2009, p. 1198-1208. [Publisher]
- Chu L. M., Yin J. H. Comparison of interface shear strength of soil nails measured by direct shear box tests and pull-out tests. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 131, Issue 9, 2005, p. 1097-1107. [Publisher]
- ACI 318-2005: Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary. ACI, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 1995. [CrossRef]
- Zhou W. H., Yin J. H., Zhu H. H., Hong C. Y. Study on the effects of grouting pressure and overburden pressure on the pullout resistance of soil nails. Proceedings of the 60th Canadian Geotechnical Conference and 8th joint CGS/IAH-CNC Groundwater Conference, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2008, p. 985-990. [CrossRef]
- Zhou W. H., Yin J. H., Zhu H. H., Hong C. Y. Effects of overburden stress and grouting pressure on soil nail pull-out resistance. Proceedings of the 17th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, 2010, p. 248-251. [CrossRef]
- Yin J., Hua C., Zhou W. Simplified analytical method for calculating the maximum shear stress of nail-soil interface. International Journal of Geomechanics, Vol. 12, Issue 3, 2012, p. 309-317. [Publisher]
- Kim Y., Lee S., Jeong S., Kim J. The effect of pressure-grouted soil nails on the stability of weathered soil slopes. Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 49, 2013, p. 253-263. [Publisher]
- ASTM D422-63: Standard Test Method for Particle-Size Analysis. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA, 1992. [CrossRef]
- ASTM D3080/D3080M-11: Standard Test Method for Direct Shear Test of Soils Under Consolidated Drained Conditions. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2011. [CrossRef]
- ASTM D2216-10: Standard Test Methods for Laboratory Determination of Water (Moisture) Content of Soil and Rock by Mass. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2010, www.astm.org. [CrossRef]
- ASTM D4564-08e1: Standard Test Method for Density and Unit Weight of Soil in Place by the Sleeve Method (Withdrawn 2013). ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2008, www.astm.org. [CrossRef]
- ASTM D1195/D1195M-09: Standard Test Method for Repetitive Static Plate Load Tests of Soils and Flexible Pavement Components, for Use in Evaluation and Design of Airport and Highway Pavements. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2015, www.astm.org. [CrossRef]