Analytical approach of turning thin-walled tubular parts. Stability analysis of regenerative chatter
Artem Gerasimenko1 , Mikhail Guskov2 , Alexander Gouskov3 , Philippe Lorong4 , Grigory Panovko5
1, 3, 5Bauman Moscow State Technical University, Moscow, Russia
1, 2, 4PIMM Laboratory, Arts et Metiers ParisTech, Paris, France
3, 5Mechanical Engineering Research Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Vibroengineering PROCEDIA, Vol. 8, 2016, p. 179-184.
Received 7 September 2016; accepted 9 September 2016; published 7 October 2016
The purpose of this work is to develop a mathematical model of the dynamics of turning a thin-walled cylindrical shell. It is then possible to obtain estimates of the boundaries of stability of the continuous cutting process. The model is constructed using the theory of shells with application of Galerkin’s method in conjunction with the expansion of the field of displacement in beam and trigonometric functions. On the basis of the developed model, an algorithm designed for constructing boundaries of stability of turning of the thin-walled cylindrical parts is presented.
Keywords: cylindrical shell, chatter, turning, self-oscillations.
The research was funded by the financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science, NIR No. 9.1073.2014K under the design part of the State-guaranteed order in scientific research area. This work was also supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Grant No. 16-58-150001 NCNI_a.
- Altintas Y. Manufacturing Automation. Metal Cutting Mechanics, Machine Tool Vibrations, and CNC Design. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2000, p. 286. [CrossRef]
- Cheng K. Machining Dynamics: Fundamentals. Applications and Practices, Springer, 2008. [CrossRef]
- Urbikain G., de Lacalle L. N. López, Campa F. J., Fernández A., Elías A. Stability prediction in straight turning of a flexible workpiece by collocation method. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vols. 54-55, 2012, p. 73-81. [CrossRef]
- Chen C. K., Tsao Y. M. A stability analysis of turning a tailstock supported flexible work-piece. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 46, 2006, p. 18-25. [CrossRef]
- Arnold R. N. Chatter patterns formed on the surface of thin cylindrical tubes during machining. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 3, 1961, p. 7-14. [CrossRef]
- Lorong P., Larue A., Duarte A. P. Dynamic materials research. Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 223, 2011, p. 591-599. [CrossRef]
- Li Hua, Lam Shin-Yong Rotating Shell Dynamics. Studies in Applied Mechanics, Vol. 50, 2005. [CrossRef]
- Lopatin A. V., Morozov E. V., Shatov A. V. An analytical expression for fundamental frequency of the composite lattice cylindrical shell with clamped edges. Composite Structures, Vol. 141, 2016, p. 232-239. [CrossRef]
- Lam K. Y., Loy C. T. Effects of boundary conditions on frequencies of a multilayered cylindrical shell. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 188, 1995, p. 363-384. [CrossRef]