Influence of the resonance characteristics of free-yaw small wind turbines on the performance
Nadezda A. Afanasyeva1 , Vitali V. Dudnik2 , Vladimir L. Gaponov3
1, 2, 3Don State Technical University, Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation
Vibroengineering PROCEDIA, Vol. 8, 2016, p. 158-162.
Received 7 September 2016; accepted 15 September 2016; published 7 October 2016
Variability of behavior within very short time periods is typical of a wind flow. Thus, the upwind horizontal axis wind turbine with passive yaw system represents a torsional oscillation system. The article aims to determine how the yaw oscillation impacts the wind turbine efficiency. Results of experimental study indicated that there are significant yaw angle fluctuations caused by a resonance phenomenon. Appearing of a resonant excitation leads to disproportional fluctuations of yaw angle about the mean value of 11.6° achieving the angle of 40°. Mathematical simulation of experimental wind turbine for conditions of observed phenomena showed a decrease of the efficiency at about 7 % achieving 47 % respectively.
Keywords: horizontal axis wind turbine, passive yawing, torsional oscillation, wind turbine performance.
- Hansen A. C. Yaw Dynamics of Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines-Final Report WE21.8202. National Renewable Energy Laboratory 1617 Cole Blvd. Golden, CO 80401University of Utuh Salt Lake City, Utah, 1992. [Search CrossRef]
- Wind Turbines, Part 2: Design Requirements for Small Wind Turbines. British Standard BS EN 61400-2:2006, 2006. [Search CrossRef]
- Afanaseva N. A., Dudnik V. V., Gaponov V. L. Energy supply and energy efficiency in agriculture. Proceedings of the 10th International Scientific and Technical Conference, Ecology, Moscow, 2016, p. 371-376, (in Russian). [Search CrossRef]
- Zhukov V. M., Kostin A. A., Fedyushin V. B., Chernih L. M. Physics. Oscillations and Waves: Laboratory Practical. SPbSUT, 2014, (in Russian). [Search CrossRef]
- Probst O., Martínez J., Elizondo J., Monroy O. Small Wind Turbine Technology, Wind Turbines. InTech, 2011. [Search CrossRef]
- Singh M., Muljadi E., Jonkman J., Gevorgian V., Girsang I., Dhupia J. Simulation for Wind Turbine Generators – With FAST and MATLAB-Simulink. Modules Technical Report NREL/TP-5D00-59195, Denver West Parkway Golden, 2014. [Search CrossRef]
- Burton T., Sharpe D., Jenkins N., Bossanyi E. Wind Energy Handbook. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2001. [Search CrossRef]